Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Camping and Riding in Waco, Texas

I arrived in Waco at the campsite on Wednesday the 29th. Up early Thursday morning to tour the countryside and ride into Waco, about 20 miles from the campground, for lunch and to noodle around. Everything looked good: great weather, bike's in great shape with new bar wrap and Rivendell's beautiful lugged stem, but ehn...where's the pump? Without a frame pump I didn't feel comfortable with the tour and rather drove to town to buy *another* Zefal frame pump. Ate lunch at the Elite Cafe, an 85 year-old historic cafe that has been spruced up nicely on the east side of I20 south of Waco. Tilapia with a light cilantro sauce with polenta and spinach. Then back to camp. Dexter (my Dad) had arrived with my old Trek 1000, and later in the evening so had Escher with his steel Bianchi that he purchased earlier this year. Up lazily the next morning for a ride to Waco with coffee at a downtown morning cafe. Escher and I rode along China Springs Rd, the backside of the airport (KACT), and on to Waco via Lakeshore, and MLK. I have a new appreciation for Waco and the ride was splendid. The return followed the well-marked routes of the Waco Wild West Century, which is tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment